Sunday, May 10, 2009

More New eats!

I some more new wonderful recipes to try today. This is always so exciting for me some times I feel like a little kid on Christmas just can't wait to give them a try.


I had strength training in the morning and the came home to try a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of black bean soup. I was not thrilled with this one. Not sure if it was that the tomatoes made the bread a little soggy or if it was the rosemary that the recipe called for. I think next time I will try it with fresh basil instead of rosemary. I haven't given up on this one yet.

The bean soup was good and it soups always seem to fill me up nicely and this one was no different. It was a great lunch and it keep me full the whole afternoon. I was going to have a snack in the afternoon but my body was not telling me I needed to eat so I just waited until dinner.

I has originally planned on making a bean soup but since I had black bean soup for lunch I decided that I would try to use up some more of the cooked barley I had in the refrigerator. I was very nervous about trying this recipe but I am still attempting to keeping an open mind. This one was called Sage-Mushroom Barley with Parmesan. I am not a mushroom lover and I had it set in mind that I was not going to like with because of the mushrooms but was I wrong I really liked it. Could I be changing my opinion of the mushroom? The textures with the barley, the mushroom and the beans were great together. The recipe had barley, onion, garlic, spinach, mushrooms, navy beans, sage and Parmesan. I will definitely be having this one again.



I posted earlier that I was going to make the boys a cake. I looked through some of my old Light and Tasty magazines and saw this one. I was looking for a recipe that I had everything in the house. Now this picture is of my husbands piece. He said it was good and my son had two pieces so that is a stamp of approval. I really wanted a piece but I decided against I wanted to try my new recipe for guacamole for a snack later instead.




Oh the decision to wait to try the guacamole was such a great idea. It was SO good and I could have eaten the whole batch but I took my 1/4 cup portion with my seven multi grain tortilla chips and slowly enjoy each and everyone of them dipped in this great spread. I continue to focus enjoying what I am eating and not eating it so quickly that I don't even get to truly enjoy it. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been easy but I am continuing to work on this one.
Now back to the dip, the recipe used beans with the avocado to bring down the calories by doing this you save more than 100 calories per recipe. For a 1/4 cup of guacamole with seven chips it was 156 calories, 8g fat, 19g carbohydrates, 4g protein. My daughter and husband really liked this on as well. I wanted to get my share before I offer it to my son because if he likes it I can say good bye to seeing it. Of you who don't know my son he is 6'4" 270 pound football player who will be playing college football in the fall. Let's just say the boy can eat.






No comments: