Friday, May 1, 2009

Cranberry and Walnut Barley with Honey

I have been interested in trying new grains and when I saw this recipe I had to make sure that I picked up some Barley to try. The only down fall to barley is that it does take some time to cook. So I could up a big batch of barley yesterday to have in the refrigerator. The total cooking time for barley is 45 minutes so if want to give it a try I would suggest making a batch to have on hand.

A little info on Barley: there are two kinds of barley at the store, hulled and pearled. Buy hulled because it is whole grain; the pearled version has the bran removed. Like I said it isn't the quickest grain but the texture and taste are well worth the time.

I really loved the texture of this and it was a great alternative to oatmeal. So I microwave up and added dried cranberries, walnuts and honey. I could see eating this one quite often. Now I will be searching for more recipes that call for Barley. Give it a try and let me know what you think of this wonderful grain called Barley.

Today it isn't raining so I am trying to talk myself to getting out and walking the seven miles this morning. I could run over to the gym as well. Decisions... Not sure when the parents will arrive and the house could be a little cleaner. So I guess instead of sitting and reading my books from the library I better get together a list and get to it.

Weight was good this morning, 150. I am reading and interesting book called The complete Beck diet for life. There is a lot of talk in the book about changing our thinking and I am eager to attempt to incorporate some of the ideas in the book to my life. I will continue to read and will keep you posted on what I am learning. The most current thing I began is to only eat when I am sitting down and eat slowly. I think a lot of mindless eating goes on when we are eating standing up.

No comments: