Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Yesterday Eats!!

I had some time on my hands yesterday morning so I had the perfect opportunity to do what I love, create with food. What can I say I LOVE it! I had some cauliflower in the refrigerator that was going to go bad so I searched for a recipe that I use it in. I came across a recipe for Cauliflower Fritters. It interested me so I thought I would give it a try. The batter was a mix of cauliflower, garlic, wheat flour and eggs. Then you cooked it in a little olive oil. Since I have no idea what fritters are suppose to look like not sure if they turned out or not. But these are how mine turned out below.



They were quite tasty and I thought they kind of resembled a hash brown. So I froze the rest and thought I would pull them out and serve them as a side with my eggs some morning. Hubby and daughter tried them too and said they were good. Not sure if they were just saying that to make me happy or if they truly like them. Guess it doesn't matter. I will enjoy them.


So instead of the apple I was going to have along with my Boca burger I decided to have one of the fritters. I love the Boca burgers it hit the spot. I put it on top of Arnolds Select Thin and topped it with cheese and shredded cabbage that I added a little plain low fat yogurt and Dijon mustard. I nice satisfying lunch. I had a great training session in the afternoon and packed along a protein muffin. I will have to remember to take a picture next time I have it. It is quite good and a nice snack to throw in my gym bag or purse for a quick snack.




Tonight's dinner I decided to experiment with a grain called, Millet. I had never heard of it before and I was curious about giving it a try. According to the Flexitarian Diet book, Millet is a tiny delicate grain that easily takes on the flavor of what it is cooked with. It can have two distinct textures: if millet is just left alone and not stirred during simmering, the grain will be separate like rice, but if you stir it while it is cooking, it will become creamy - almost like mashed potatoes. How cool is that? I am excited about doing some stuff with this grain. Tonight I made it like rice as you can see above.



I topped it off with a mixture of garlic, cumin, various colored diced bell peppers, onion, black beans, lime juice and chopped cilantro. It was quite delicious and so filling. What is nice about this diet it that you get quite a bit of food and it is so darn filling. Loving that. I am excited about what tomorrow eats will be. Stay tuned for more Flexitarian ideas!!





No comments: