Friday, July 10, 2009

Farmers Market

Good Morning!! I woke up this morning eager to go to a Farmers Market. Since it looked kind of cloudy and I wasn't sure if it was going to rain I decided that I would head over first thing this morning. I start of with making a juice for the road.
Put it in my "to go" container and was off and running. I had no idea what to expect at the farmers market but I was hopeful that I would find some fresh ingredients for todays lunch.
Here are the wonderful things I found: fresh romaine, kohlrabi, cucumber, zucchini and green onions. It was a small farmers market and I guess I was expecting some big thing but I was happy with the finds. I did step out of my comfort zone and asked each farmer if the stuff they were selling was fresh, when was it picked, did they come every Friday and what they could see being pick soon. It was very exciting. I wanted to pick up some "fresh" blueberries but I have to finish the one that I currently have in the refrigerator, maybe next week. Speaking of fresh...

My daughter brought this home from work the other day. Her boss had gotten three and was happy enough to give us one. It looked fresh and I was eager to cut this up. As I was chopping I was thinking how nice it would have been to have my dad close by so that I could bring him some, I know how he love cantaloupe.

As I sit and blog I am eating this nice "big" bowl of delicious juicy cantaloupe. Wish you were here Dad! I know Mom wouldn't enjoy this, she says the stuff stinks!! I cut up the whole thing and have it sitting in the refrigerator for a quick and delicious snack.
I plan on using the zucchini I bought today to make up some "Raw" Beanless Zucchini Hummus. I just LOVE this stuff and I am excited to see how even better it will be with "fresh" zucchini. I have the sunflower seeds soaking in water as we speak and plan on making this sometime this afternoon. I will make sure that I post pictures of this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love everything about the farmer's market. I'm lucky enough to have one very close to my new apt. I love going there every week!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are good for you.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt