Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cupcake Anyone?

Happy Sunday Everyone! We had know showings on the house and I was kind of glad. Although I know that no showing means no interested lookers it was still nice the same.



I always like the weekends because I have more time in the morning to make a delicious breakfast. Anyone who has read my blog knows I love Carbo blueberry pancakes and it was calling my name this morning. I had no bananas and at first I panicked... I always have a mashed banana on my pancakes instead of syrup. What was girl to do? I am not always good at looking out of the box and most times I probably would have ran right to the store to get a banana but this morning was different. I looked in the refrigerator and saw that I had a few strawberries that needed to be eaten.. I had a great idea I would make a strawberry topping. I chopped up the strawberries add a little maple syrup and set it on the stove to cook. This is the result....

Chocolate and strawberries is one of my favorites and this did not disappoint. As you can tell I got my good camera back out today and had some fun taking pictures today. Of course I had to take a few pictures of this guy.


I have truly been feeling more like myself these last few weeks and this has include me back in the kitchen which I have truly enjoyed.

My husband had a tuna fish sandwich for lunch today and it got me thinking about a recipe in this book...


My mom had gotten me this book for Christmas and I have been enjoying making some recipes out of it. Todays lunch was Tuno Temph Sandwich. I had everything in the house and I had planned on making it last week but I have been trying to be good about eating left over before creating something new. Today was the day. I had cooked with Tempeh before but have never simmered it before using. This recipe had you simmer the Tempeh in vegetable stock for 25 minutes before using. I have read some where online that this helps reduce the bitterness that tempeh can some times have.


This recipe also called for Kelp powder which I have used before which helps give it a more fishy taste. I didn't quite get the fishy tase from this maybe I will use more kelp powder next time but none the less the sandwich was quite delicious.


And quite pretty. I had this with a side of carrots and cerlery with a dill dipping sauce that also came from the book. I nice satisfying lunch.



I have had sweets on my mind for quite some times and have to admit they scare the heck out of me. But now that I am trying to find peace in my life I have to come to terms with the fact that it is ok to sweets once and awhile and to avoid it would be cruel and just not living. So I decided instead of making a cake that I would make cupcakes, mini cakes. I saw that abby had posted a recipe for Vegan cupcakes and I knew I had to have them.

So we went grocery shopping and I got everything I need to create Snickerdoodle Vegan Cupcakes and this....

I love Basil and have always had a lot of luck growing it. I have wanted to grow a garden so bad this year and have to admit I am truly disappointed that it won't happen this years with selling the house. So I decided to do the next best thing and will be making several pots full of veggies. The basil will be the start of a pot that I will have full of herbs. I am thinking of cilantro, dill, parsley, chive and thyme.



Ok back to cupcakes.

The only real changes I made to Abbys recipe is that I replace the 1/3 cup of oil and used Apple Sauce instead and I use 1/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour instead of all the flour being all-purpose flour. It was fun making the cinnamon and brown sugar swirl.



The smell that camesfrom these cooking in the oven was heaven. I have waited way to long to enjoy a litte of heaven. While the cupcakes cooled hubby and I took the dog for a walk. It wasn't as warm as yesterday and no sun. But it didn't rain and I enjoy all the time I can while hubby is home. Abby had a recipe for frosting but I just didn't want to have shortening in my frosting so I started to search blogs for another solution. And who else would provide me with that but my most favorite Vegan blogger of all: Oh She Glows
I made the Fluffy Almond Butter Cream Frosting





I wish I would have had a different tip to frost the cupcakes but I still think they turned out quite cute. I sprinkled the top with a little cinnamon and sugar mixture. I haven't tried the cupcake yet but I will say the frosting is cute good and I had a little too much of that. But life is worth living from time to time and the frosting was definately a part of it. I will have the cupcake as my after dinner treat. Hope you enjoy the pictures today.






















No comments: